Thursday 23 July 2015

Himanshu Verma, The Saree Man - Part I

If you are new to my blog and its your first post here, this is a virtual rendezvous with Himanshu Verma, the Saree Man! If you wonder why this interview is happening on a fashion blog in the first place, my blog is a platform for talent with a cause! The efforts behind the scenes are most accomplished and they should never ever go waste! As simple as that! Thank you very much, Himanshu for your valuable time, consideration and contribution...

The spirit of life...

Did you wake up one day and become the Saree Man? How did the transition happen?

It was a slow transition, but a natural transition. I started wearing sarees since I started curating in 2006. I wore them for my events, art shows and festivals. It was a very organic process from starting to wear the Saree to gradually becoming the Saree man. 

Saree Man, the man in the saree or Saree Man, the saree on the man? Who garners attention the most?

All of that and me! I started calling myself Saree Man! It caught on with the Press and they wrote about it! Back then, I was the only man in Delhi who wore saree publicly (still am the only one). The attention aspect is very incidental since I wear saree for the love of it.


Perfect poster boy...


How many sarees do you own?

Its a tiny collection of about 70 to 80 sarees, but its growing as I get to acquire more and more at events! (My Jealousy Meter just blew hearing that...)

Why Saree and not any other masculine drape? Does Saree deserve more than what it gets?

Any drape is gender neutral. Nothing to do with masculinity or femininity. Its not ugly if women are in dhoti. But if a man is in saree, its out of the blue! See the Buddhist monks!



Marigold Man...


Why did you want to drape and promote? Was there no other alternative ?

Initially, it was not for promotion. (Still isn't) The draping aspect was out of love.  Its independent of what it means. As a part of my work, I was playing with it and discovered the garment!

Is Jai Saree Clan a real thing?

No, its not! Wrote that in a funny piece! The greeting caught on with Saree lovers and patrons of the festivals. During the festival, hum jaise kuch bhi bolte hein...so we started using that!


Beating the blues, Himanshu way...


Saree Man, Red Earth, 1100 Walks and The Genda Phool Project! Boy, that's quite a mouthful!!! How do you establish your priorities?

Some days, I wake up and dont know what to do!I am like, "Should I work on this or that?"
The Genda Phool Project has taken a back seat for now until something comes up. At the moment, we are focused on Red Earth, promoting the Saree through Saree Festival and there is 1100 walks! I cant devote all of my time to everything. Its the creative time I can manage. Its challenging then to take it to the next level!

Is Saree an everyday thing for you?

You can kind of say so! At home, I drape a dhoti or wear a pyjama, but I am constantly playing with the saree. Very often, but not every day I work with drapes.


Collage of head turners...


In the process, did you invent any new drape?

I am yet to study all 108 drapes. When I go out,  I experiment. A lot of women experiment with drapes these days.

What does your wardrobe consist of?

Apart from sarees and dhotis, I have tons of kurtas, pyjamas, some skirts, two pairs of jeans and about 4 to 5 trousers.


Gendagiri...
Imagery credits - Himanshu Verma


Rest, to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment